Tuesday, February 21, 2006

So once again, Jones, what was briefly yours is now mine.

Harrison Ford is what, 63? 64 years old? And yet everyone thinks that Indiana Jones IV is going to be a great idea. Why? Why does a 60 year old Indiana Jones appeal to anyone? It just seems sad to me. It feels like George Lucus hasn't learned anything from his experiances with Star Wars over the past 10 years.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade came out in 1989. 17 years ago. By the time the new one comes out, enough time will have passed for kids to have been born and gone on to graduate high school.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Indiana Jones movies. And 10 years ago, I would have LOVED to have seen a new one. But, that was 10 years ago. With every year since then it has seemed like a worse and worse idea.

Of course, Harrison Ford says he's still in good enough shape to play Indy. Good for him. I don't believe him for second, but if he is, good for him.

Fact of the matter is that I just don't want to see Indiana Jones as an old man. And Ford's age would have to impact the story. That means that the movie would take place in the late forties or fifties. That means no Nazi's. And if Temple of Doom proved anything, it was that Indy was at his best fighting Nazis.

Why not cast somebody else? It worked for James Bond? Sean Patrick Flanery wasn't bad as young Indy, he could take over the role. Or, I don't know. Someone. Something.

At the same time though, I guess you have to give everyone some credit since Lucas and Speilberg and both back and so is Ford. Maybe this will be one of the few times where something like this works out. Of course, it could be Episode I all over again.