Sunday, January 15, 2006

2 Extremes and 1 WTF


Watched 3 Extremes tonight. I enjoyed it for the most part. Three "extreme" short films from three different countries, Japan, China and Korea.


Fruit Chan's Dumplings was really good, though it reminded me of Jonnaton Swift's 'A Modest Proposal' with a fountain of youth twist. Chan Wook Park's Cut didn't remind me of anything, but I really enjoyed it's movie within a movie feel with the sets. Takeshi Miike's contribution, Box, left me scratching my head a bit, and was probably the weakest of the three if I had to choose.

For the most part though, if you're a fan of any of these directors, or asian movies in general, it's worth checking out. They're the kind of stories that Hollywood tends to stay away from. Then again, I said that about Oldboy, and it looks like Hollywood is going to take a stab at it anyways.