Sunday, February 04, 2007

7 Dollar Popcorn Presents The 7 Dollar Popcorn FILMuary Extravaganza: 28 Days of Movie Mayhem Day 4: Arachnid

Four down, twenty four to go. Hello! Welcome to 7 Dollar Popcorn Presents The 7 Dollar Popcorn FILMuary Extravaganza: 28 Days of Movie Mayhem Day 4!! Today's movie is Arachnid!

I decided to check this movie out after reading the review of it over at Final Girl. Because, really, how can you not enjoy a movie about alien-mutated spiders in the jungles of the south Pacific? Especially after enjoying Raptor Island so much?

The answer? You can't. You can't not enjoy a movie like this. Or, I can't. Or I can. I'm not sure. There's too many double negatives at this point. It's making my head hurt.

Arachnid stars Beth from The Descent and some dude named Chris Potter that my friend swears he recognizes from so show, but can't remember what show. It also has a doctor that is pissed at everyone for no apparent reason. His assistant, who thinks awfully highly of herself and the doctor. A couple of apparent mercenaries and natives who appear to be destined to be spider food. And a spider expert.

From here, I'm going to try to keep it short, especially since Stacie does a much better job of reviewing this flick than I ever could. So, I'm just going to do the short version:

Dude gets sick. Doctor, mercenaries and pilot crash on the beach. Spider dude keeps wandering off. Pilot takes off her shirt. Ticks get inside one dude. Dude dies. Spiders capture and eat spider dude. Pilot finds her dead brother. Big fight with big spider. Movie ends. Yeah, that kind of sums it up.

Arachnid is a Saturday afternoon movie in every way. If you try to think about this movie too much, you start noticing, not just the wholes in the plot, but how oddly everyone interacts with each other. I mean, these people just don't seem to like or even care about each other in anyway. This certainly wasn't a great movie, but it had it's fun parts, and despite being SUPER tired when I watched it, it didn't put me to sleep, so that something. And to top it off, as the movie kept going, and Mercer kept getting dirtier and dirtier, she kept looking better and better (and she wasn't bad to start with). Arachnid gets 6 baby spiders feeding on the insides of a scientist out of 10.

4 comments:

Stacie Ponder said...

Awww, dude. I do love this movie.

You're right about character interactions, especially the doctor- why was he so pissed all the time? I liked it when he wanted the guy writhing in pain to SHUT UP and then when Mercer called him on it, he told HER to shut up. Awesomeness.

This flick is some good shit. And according to Amanda by Night, that Chis Potter dude is from the Kung Fu show, whatever that was called. Kung Fu, I think.

Unknown said...

It was fun. I was SO tired when I watched it though. It felt almost unfair to the movie.

I loved the ending though. That they were still wandering the jungle and there were still giant ass spiders around. I love that it implies that they're unlikely to survive.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a movie that kills the main characters at the end.

Stacie Ponder said...

I'm surprised it didn't end with the spider lunging and the heroes SCREAM! - cut to black.

But even if there weren't more giant spiders running around, they STILL had a broken plane and no radio, so they were basically stuck as they were an hour before.

Was the 3-foot poo that went "Wheee!" awesome or what?

Unknown said...

That would have been a pretty sweet ending.

And yeah, the 3 foot poo was pretty rad.