Thursday, January 01, 2009

My Favorite Books From 2008

Lets do one more list. Just, you know, because.

It's been established that I travel a lot. Well, when I fly, I like to read. I like to read other times to, but I definitely read more on planes than I do anywhere else. That being the case, I've read a LOT this year. Let's go a little off topic and look at some of my favorites from 2008. Again, to qualify, they need only to have been read this year.

And, sorry, but I don't keep really good track of when I read books, so they're just in the order that they're in.

The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett
Two really good detective stories from one of the best authors in the genre. They were actually both made into excellent movies as well.

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Another master of the hard boiled detective story and possibly one of the best writers of the 20th century. This was the first adventure of Philip Marlowe, and one of the best.

The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
I liked Slaughter House Five and Breakfast of Champions too, but not nearly as much.

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy
Great story. The best Ellroy book that I've read so far.

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
It was an amazing movie, but an even better book. Seriously. Well worth reading.

The Raw Shark Texts by Stephen Hall
Hands down the best book I read this year. Ok, maybe not. I mean, Let the Right One In was pretty awesome. Definite top 3 though.

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
Yes, THAT Hugh Laurie. It's very hard to read without hearing House narrate the story.

Blindness by Jose Sarramago
Wow. Just...Wow.

Pipsqueak by Brian M. Wiprud
It was kind of strange, as any mystery surrounding a taxedermied squirrel should be. Very fun though.