Tuesday, January 27, 2009

There's been a lot about games lately, hasn't there?

I know, I get a new TV and suddenly my games look all sorts of friggin sweet and that's all I want to do anymore. It's not JUST that though. The other problem is that all of these movies look sweet. And I want to go back and re-watch movies again. So, I haven't seen much new.

I rented Mirror's Edge. Rented, not bought. It was the right choice.

Be careful what you read into that. I loved the game. It was incredble. Fun, interesting, unique. Everything one might want from a game. It's well worth playing.

You are Faith, a runner. You have to get from one place to another. On foot. You deliver messages. Yeah, I know what you're thinking but, Parkour Mailman just doesn't sound as sexy as Mirror's Edge, now does it? No, of course not.

There is some fighting, but not much. The game mainly focuses on running and jumping from building to building. You're more or less encouraged to avoid anyone shooting at you rather than confronting them. On the occasions that you must fight them, the battles flow as smoothly as the running.

It's a short game. This isn't a bad thing though. It ends when it should. If it were longer, it would get boring. It's really the perfect length for this type of game. It's biggest flaw, at least to me, was that there wasn't much about it that made me want to go back and play it again. It was a lot of fun, once. Time trials through the levels aren't that interesting to me.

It makes it a perfect game to rent.