Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In which I revisit the past...

After playing Left 4 Dead, I found myself wanting to see 28 Weeks Later again.I don't think that it was coincidental. There are a lot of similarities between the rage infected "zombies" of 28WL and L4D.

I don't think I had seen 28 Weeks Later since I had seen it in the theater. I'd kept meaning to buy it, I just never got around to it. No real reason why. I mean, I loved the movie and new I would watch it again. I just wasn't in a hurry. I always figured I'd see it on sale someday for really cheap and pick it up then.

I'd waited long enough though. I wanted to see it again. I was itching to see it, one my say (though only because I'm usually feeling a little itchy, no idea why). It was 9:30 at night. It was cold outside. I wasn't wearing pants. I wanted to watch it though, so I got myself together and went to the video store to rent it.

I've already reviewed the movie here, but, a couple of thing occurred to me while watching it:

1) The opening chase scene with Don running from the infected my be one of the most exciting and beautifully shot zombie chases ever put into a movie. It's really a perfect start to the movie.

2) 28 Weeks Later may not be the best zombie movie ever made, it's full of giant leaps of faith and a few sizable plot holes, but it just might be one of the prettiest zombie movies out there. It has a beautiful 'look' to it without being heavily stylized. It's just an incredibly well shot movie.

C) The review I wrote two years ago? Looking back at it...I'm really REALLY proud of it. I think that it might be one of my favorite examples of my writing, and if someone asked for a sample, it just might be the one I would give them.