Thursday, June 12, 2008

The real hero of LotR

I don't spend all my time just thinking about Star Wars. No. Often times, I play Scrabulous on Facebook. And, other times, I think about the Lord of the Rings movies.

In fact, that's what I found myself thinking about last night. Granted, it might have been because I put Return of the King into the DVD player.

So, I'm watching Return of the King and thinking to myself "Wow, Frodo wouldn't have accomplished a god damn thing without the help of Sam." Sam is the real hero here. I mean, sure, it's Frodo who destroys the ring, but Frodo does that because he has to, not because he wants to. If it were up to Frodo, he would have kept the ring for himself. It's only the attack by Gollum that forces Frodo to destroy the ring.

Sam though, carries Frodo to Mt Doom. Sometimes figuratively, sometimes quite literally. Sam is incorruptible. Sam is faithful. Sam makes a promise and keeps it. Sam fulfills his mission despite the odds and despite the challenges. And, in the end...Sam gets the girl.

By Hollywood standards, isn't that the definition of a hero? And yet, he's relegated to mere sidekick status. He is Frodo's friend and gardener. He is just an average hobbit who never really cared about leaving the Shire.

It's Sam who really learns what he is capable of through the adventure, and it's Sam who truly saves the day. As Frodo succumbs to the Ring, he begins to sympathize with Gollum. But not Sam. Sam never trusts him. And even when Frodo sends Sam away, Sam doesn't give up. If not for Sam, Frodo would have been eaten by the giant spider (whose name escapes me at the moment and I'm too lazy to look up).

Through everything, Sam is there. Never turning his back on Frodo, never worried about his own self interests. He is willing to sacrifice everything in order to ensure that Frodo succeeds. He knows that it's Frodo who will be remembered, not Sam.

But, even Frodo (in a breif moment of calm and clarity) admits that Sam's role is vital:

Sam: I wonder if we’ll ever be put into songs or tales.
Frodo: What?
Sam: I wonder if people will ever say, "Let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring," and they’ll say, "Yes, that’s one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn’t he, Dad?" "Yes, my boy, the most famousest of hobbits. And that’s saying a lot."
Frodo: You left out one of the chief characters: Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam.
Sam: Now Mr. Frodo, you shouldn’t make fun. I was being serious.
Frodo: So was I.
Samwise the Brave. Friend of Elves, Killer of Shelob*, Hero of Middle Earth.

*Yes, I went and looked it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely correct that Sam is the true hero of LOTR. Gandalf was the great mentor, Aragorn was the great leader, Sam was the great hero, Legolas was the great warrior, Gimli was the great friend and Frodo had the great sense of responsibility in understanding he wsas the only one destined to be the ring bearer.

more games said...

that's really true , same was brave friend , i appreciate this character so much