Friday, July 18, 2008

I really liked WALL-E. A lot.

Yesterday ended up being a really short day at work. I drove about 80 miles to go to a client site and fix their computer. It turned out to be a very minor thing, not the tradgedy they described on the phone, and I was out of there after about an hour. Suddenly, the entire day was ahead of me, and I had no real plans. No one expected me at the office, so I decided there was no real reason to go there. Nope, I being the responsible adult that I am played hooky and went to see a movie, don't tell anyone.

I went and saw WALL-E, the latest Pixar creation. I have to say, it was every bit as good that I had hoped it would be. It seems to me that Pixar just knows how to make a great movie.WALL-E is by all accounts a children's movie. Or, a 'family' movie, if you prefer. It is, on the one hand, a movie designed to sell a product, or products. Tickets, shirts, toys, etc. It never feels that way though. It never feels like it's pandering to it's audience. The movie is funny, not at the expense of any one else, but because it's just funny. It's not a movie that is filled with fart and poop jokes, or the kind of humor that pokes fun at cultural differences.


And yet, WALL-E is hilarious. And it also feels very genuine. Here is a CGI robot that doesn't speak, and yet is able to express emotion better than most actors. As much as I've been inpressed by Pixar's previous work, WALL-E blows it all out of the water. It was an amazing film and I'm glad I went to see it. 10 small robots cleaning up foriegn contaminants and learning to break the rules out of 10.

2 comments:

Dead Pan said...

Hey fellow blogger,

I just wanted to say hey I enjoy your blog. I just started reading it, I got it from LAMB.

I'd love if you could check out my blog and leave some comments and let me know what you think.

Also, I really like your set up, I am pretty bad with computers and HTML and such, but I like the side bar with features, Quick Reviews of Bad Movies and Analyzing Star Wars and so on... I really want to add a function like that for some studies and links that I wish I add to my site, but have no idea how.

Thanks so much.
_shawn

Unknown said...

Thank you. The sidebar stuff really doesn't have anything to do with HTML though, it's all just basic Blogger Template stuff. All I did was create link lists to some of my favorite posts. Quick reviews of Bad Movies and Analyzing Star Wars are just reoccurring features that I do. If that's the kind of thing that you want to add to your blog, well, I can't really suggest anything. For me, they were kind of organic things. Ideas that I had that would pop up over and over again. It's not anything planned, it's just something that I do when I find something that fits.