Friday, October 17, 2008

Just vote. That's all I ask.

Talking about movies is a lot of fun. It's hard though to deny that some things are just a little more important.

Politics, for example.

I've been here at 7dp for, what, almost 3 years now? And in that time, I've tried to keep politics out of it. I think I've succeeded more than I've failed, though, some of my feelings may have come through in my writing. Regardless, it's a subject I've largely shied away from here, if not elsewhere.

The fact of the matter is though, this is shaping up to be a historic election. The economy is in shambles, we're bleeding jobs, fighting two wars and homes are foreclosing all around us. I'm sure that I don't speak solely for myself when I say that it's all a little scary.

That's why this matters so much. Once every four years, you and I have an opportunity and a responsibility to have a say in the future and direction of this country. As citizens, this is the most important thing we do. This is the biggest and best chance we get to really have a say in what happens.

It's very easy to sit back and think to yourself that "I'm just one person, my vote doesn't really matter." Or, "The polls say my guy is going to win/lose, my vote won't make a difference," or "The Electoral College is a scam and they may as well flip a fucking coin for all the say I have." It's easy to get cynical and jaded when it comes to politics.

Does one single vote matter? Will your vote be the one that changes the course of history? Not on a national level, no. In the local elections that might impact you on more of a day to day basis, it might.

Here's the deal, I'm not interested in telling you who to vote for. Sure, I have a preference. I know who I'd like to see you vote for, but, even if you don't vote for the guy I want, I won't hold it against you. All I want is for you to go to the polls on November 4th and cast your ballot. I want you to take a look around you, read the paper, watch the news and find the candidate that supports the most things that you support. I want you to go to the polls and vote. And that's all I want from you. Just go and vote. It doesn't take that long, trust me, I've voted in every election that I could for the past ten years and you damn well better believe I'm going to vote again this time.