Thursday, October 30, 2008

I like Star Trek, Firefly is better, but I like Star Trek.

I'm not a 'Trekie'. I'm not a 'Trekker'. Star Trek is not a particular passion for me. I'll never write an article discussing the minutiae of the series like I would about Star Wars. I've liked the various series, but don't want to watch them all of the time.

I was never a big fan of the original series, though I grew up watching reruns in syndication. I've seen most of them, but not all of them. Star Trek: The Next Generation far surpassed the original in storytelling, character, entertainment and longevity. Over the years, I've seen every TNG episode at least 2 or 3 times. Deep Space Nine was okay, but I never got too into it. I like Voyager though it tends to get a little goofy at times. Enterprise...well, what can I say? It sucks out loud.

That's where the Star Trek collector sets come in. Each a thematic collection of episodes across multiple series. I picked up the Borg collection a while back and enjoyed it a lot. Of course, it's mostly TNG and Voyager, the two series that I like. I picked up Alternate Realities set the other day and, well, I've been enjoying it. Though, there is a lot more TOS, DS9 and Enterprise. It's like being able to buy a greatest hits cd instead of a band's entire catalog.

A few thoughts...

Mirror, Mirror was a much better episode than I remembered.

DS9 went to the Mirror universe a few times too many.

The Enemy Within kind of dragged on after a while. Good idea and episode, but started to spread itself thin as the episode went on.