Monday, June 07, 2010

Syfy Original Movie Titles

Have I mentioned that I'm now a cable subscriber? Well, no, not really. It's satellite. And it's the cheapest package I could get. I mean, I really only watch a few channels. I like Discovery, I watch some of the rare non-law and order shows on USA and, as you may already know, I <3 Syfy Original Movies. Instant classics. Now, I know that not everyone agrees. Frankly, I feel that they fill an important niche though.

Movies to drink to.

No one wants to sit around with a bunch of beers and friends making fun of Children of Men. It's just not going to happen. On the other hand, if you hear that some low grade celebrity is starring in this weeks Syfy original train wreck of the week, hell yes you want to tune in. There's nothing better than watching some former household name appear in the worst movie you could imagine them in and wonder how they've sunken so low.

And let's be honest here, if someone says that there is a movie called Mongolian Death Worm, why the hell wouldn't you want to tune in? The titles are just fun. Which led to author A. Lee Martinez having a Create Your Own Original Syfy Movie Title contest on Twitter. You may notice that my own idea for Rhino Virus was an honorable mention (btw, if anyone from Syfy reads this, I'm willing to sell the idea for Rhino Virus pretty cheap. Seriosuly. I just want to see it get made).

The beauty of these movies is that you know what you're getting with them. You know it's going to be a low budget, kind of cheesy movie. And you know, there are many of us that love these kind of movies. You can have your big Iron Man and Transformers movies, I'd much rather see Sharktopuspocalypse (if anyone from Syfy made it this far, I'll throw in Sharktopuspocalypse with Rhino Virus. It's a 2 for 1! Haw can you lose??).