Monday, July 31, 2006

I need a cape...


So I finally got around to seeing Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience which is a fancy way of saying I paid more than most people to go see the new Superman movie.

First things first. It's a two and a half hour movie, of which, maybe 20 minutes is in 3D. Now, the 3D parts DID look pretty damn good, but I think it would have been better as an all or nothing kind of thing. The stupid glasses are so weird at first, and then as soon as you're used to them you take them off.

Second things second. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Not a terrible choice. He certainly brought a certain Kevin Spacey-ness to the role, though personally, I missed the sort of over the top glee that Gene Hackman brought to the role. Which isn't to say that Spacey did a bad job, on the contrary, he was pretty good, it was just different, and inevitably, there is a comparison. It's like he's Sammy Hagar to Gene Hackman's David Lee Roth. I suppose the real question then is who is going to be Gary Cherone?

So, 3rd things 3rd. How was the movie? Well, it was...mostly enjoyable. I was never a huge Superman fan (my brother had all 4 dvds), in fact I'm not sure I ever even saw the 3rd or 4th movies. So where did that leave me with this? Well, I was ok, everything was pretty well laid out so that if this was your first ever Superman movie, you'd be able to follow along.

And as Superman movies go, this one was pretty cheesy. But, in a way, it's supposed to be. Superman is Truth, Justice and the American Way. He is an unflawed being. He is the ideal in every way. He's a goodie goodie. But he's supposed to be, and in that they succeeded. Who besides Superman can rescue you on a plane and then say "I hope this hasn't put you off of flying. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel."? No one! That's who. But Superman says it and all you can do is kind of smile because it's so cheesy, but it's so much who he is.

Don't bother seeing it at the imax unless you really really feel you have to, it's not worth the extra money for what you get, but it's not bad, and definitely worth the price of admission.