Thursday, June 29, 2006

What a twist!


I really liked Unbreakable. The Sisth Sense was pretty cool, even though my boss had ruined the ending for me well before I ever saw it. Jerk...

I haven't seen Signs yet, despite TNT showing in 24-7 last week and my friend loaning me the dvd (dude, I swear I'll return it soon...). I also haven't seen The Villiage yet. (What if I told you that I hadn't seen The Villiage yet? Would you get the impression that I really wanted to see it?)

Needless to say, I don't consider myself a huge fan of M. Night Shamma-lamma-ding-dong. It's not that I haven't enjoyed his movies, it's just that I won't go out of my way to really watch them. Actually, less than that, I won't even watch Signs when I'm sitting in front of the tv and the movie is ON, somehow I managed to get about 20 minutes into it and leave...

Despite this, I do want to see Lady in the Water. I think it has to do with the mermaid vs werewolf impression I get from the trailer. And really, memaid vs werewolf movies are a lost art form today. Back in the 20's, you couldn't spit on the sidewalk without seeing some movie theater showing something like The Memaid Who Grew Fuzzy in the Moonlight or It Bit Into The Sea. Classics. You don't see film making like that anymore. And it's a real loss for American cinema.




Look at that trailer. What more could you want from a movie? There are butterflies, pruney nymphs, fat people jumping in pools, doors shaking, giant birds and possibly a mystic portal...it's like Splash, but without Eugene Levy.

And speaking of Splash, what is it with the Howard clan? Ron directed Splash and his daughter, Bryce, is in Lady in the Water. Do they just have a fascination with people who live in the water? Or is it something more sinister? Perhaps as a boy, Ron accidently killed a mermaid on the set of The Andy Griffith Show thinking it was one of Don Knotts' hookers? And since then he has to make ammends through the generations?

Probably not. In fact almost certainly not. I'm sorry My Lawyer for Mr Howard, I did not mean to imply that you'd killed that hooker. She was dead when you got there. No? I mean, nothing like that ever happened. And I'm sorry to you as well, Mr Lawyer for the late Mr Knotts, I did not mean to imply that the woman in question wa s a lady of the night. I know, I know, she was the cousin of your friends daughter and you were merely showing the young lady the set of a television show.

Right, so Lady in the Water. July 21st. I'll see it eventually.