Wednesday, June 07, 2006

They should have added zombies. Zombies make everything better

I went and saw The Omen last night. It was less about seeing the movie and more about who I was going with. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the original and in fact I'm not sure that I've ever seen it in it's entirety. I've seen some here and there that adds up to the whole thing. Oh well. Like I said the other day, I'm not a big fan of 70's horror movies.

The score was good. The pacing was terrible, it felt like the longest movie to ever finish in under 2 hours. And that might be what bothered me the most about it. It just felt so slow. It was like nothing was happening for most of the movie.

Damien, unfortunatly, was the least creepy kid that I've seen in a movie. He spent most of his time looking kind of goofy and I couldn't believe him as being anything sinister. Maybe vacant is a better word than goofy.

And who the hell hires a british nanny that DOESN'T have an english accent? Isn't that at least a little weird? Mrs Baylock was at least a bit of a bright spot. Mia Farrow was great in this movie. Ever protecting Damien from the church and his family and even murdering someone for him.

Julia Stiles however, while a good actress, was probably miscast in this movie. She's too young. She's barely 25, which makes her only a bit younger than me. Now think about it. She looks young, she looks about her age. Her husband is supposed to be in his early 30s. They have a 5 year old son. I could just never buy into it. It seemed wrong.

It seemed wrong like a homeless man lugging a manhole cover attached to a chain down the streets of Rome. I still don't get that. I've seen a lot of homeless people in my life but I've NEVER seen one haul anything on a chain. This of course leads to a gas truck explosion which stretches the bounds of coincidence a little thin.

Liev Schreiber was fine. Still maybe a little young, but he was fine. David Thewlis was good. He's got a good future as a poor man's Gary Oldman. Pete Postlethwaite was great as usual.

There are too many times where you find yourself asking things like, "come on, how is he going to get those knives through customs?" or well, other things that are equally as ridiculous. I can't remember anymore. I should take notes or something. Oh! Like at the end, wouldn't he have diplomatic immunity?

It's not the worst movie I've seen this year (that's still UltraViolet) but there's lots of room for improvement.