Monday, September 20, 2010

Way off topic, kind of, but BEER!

Well, maybe not. I mean, you drink beer when you watch movies, right? I do. Hell, that may be part of my ultimate goal! By Halloween, I could actually be drinking a beer I made while watching a movie that I'm in!

One of the things I've wanted to do for...well, as long as I can remember, is brew my own beer. I like beer. I'm no beer snob, but I enjoy a good beer. As I've learned to do more and more things, acquiring more and more 'homemaking' skills (canning, preserving food, that sort of thing), home brewing has always been the endgame. It's been the goal. Everything has built up to it.

Today, I took the second step in realizing this goal (the first step was on Saturday when I bought all the equipment). Today I made a batch of wort (unfermented beer). Ultimately, in a couple weeks, it should become actual beer. Of course, I could have screwed the whole thing up and may need to start over. I have no idea. I've never done this before!

I kept everything as sanitary and sterile as I could, which is the biggest thing. And it's just a malt extract beer. Both of these should ensure some level of success. In my mind though, I will fear that this whole endeavor will be a failure until I bottle. And even then, it'll be a while after that before I'm 100% that I've made a drinkable beer. So, fingers crossed. If all goes well, I should have a nice amber wheat beer in about a month!



My kitchen...not a mess! (for a change)