Wednesday, August 06, 2008

This happens a lot actually

It's a strange thing, people talk about things. TV shows, movies, that sort of thing. They talk, endlessly. This blog is an example of that phenomenon, if it can be called such a thing. I suppose we've been doing this forever. Can you imagine, living in a cave, and your neighbor Crag comes over and says 'Grog argg greeef froot ooorrrggg'? And you say 'No, Crag my good sir, I've not seen that particular cave painting. I'll have to check it out some time'

This is the sort of thing that happens, I believe that some would refer to it as 'word of mouth'. Normally though, I try to ignore it. Enough people say to me 'Hey, you should see this. You'd like it.' I usually say, uh-huh sure whatever dude. I'm just not always too interested. Call it independence.  Call it stubbornness. Call it stupidity. Call it whatever the hell you want, it doesn't change the fact that I tend to miss out on things that I would likely enjoy because I don't like people telling me how great things are.

For example, I've been hearing about Firefly for years. Never watched it though. 'Oh, you should watch Firefly, its so great, you'd really like it!' Sure, whatever. So, I never watched it. For years, I never watched. I always figured that if it was on, I would, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Then, I was talking to someone about Hulu. And then, I was talking to someone else about It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Start seeing how all this word of mouth stuff comes together?

I'm at Hulu, and, they have all the episodes of Firefly. And I watched the first episode. And...it was...it was good. I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. I was really hoping that I wouldn't like it. Of course, that wasn't the case. It's a good show. Not the best ever made like some people would claim, but it's certainly fun. And, when it comes to television shows, isn't that more than most of them can say? I watched the first episode online, then I got the first disc used from Netflix. Then I found it used on DVD.

I'm halfway through it now and I'm really enjoying it a lot. I like Mal a bit more in the pilot when he was a little more dour, when he wasn't as jokey. It's not to say that I don't like the character the way he is, but I really would have been interested to see how the show would have gone with him as a much more serious person. It would have made for a much more interesting dynamic. At the very least, it would have made him more unique.

What is this all leading to? I don't know. What's next? Don't know that either. What movie or tv show have I been avoiding will I watch next? I have no idea. I'm...I can't believe I'm saying this, but...I'm currently taking suggestions...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case you're not planning on it, watch the film Serenity after you're done with the show. :)

Unknown said...

I'm going to. I picked up the collector's edition last weekend. I figured if I'm going to buy it, I may as well buy the fancier version an get suckered out of a little more money.

Fletch said...

Arrested Development.

I saw Serenity after being similarly hounded for years by a friend. It was pretty good (but I don't plan on going back and watching the series).

Unknown said...

See, now I've watched a couple of episodes of Arrested Development and I just couldn't get into it. It was the same with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (though, to be honest I only watched part of an episode and should give it more of a chance).

Unknown said...

I'm not making suggestions as you've now watched both things I suggested to you. I am made of win.

Fletch said...

You're dead to me. Arrested is probably my favorite sitcom of all time, overtaking Seinfeld. You gotta watch it from the beginning, and watch at least 4-6 episodes.

(I'm not necessarily saying you should do this, but anyone who hasn't seen it ought to. It's a sitcom that actually follows a storyline (!), it watching random eps will leave people lost somewhat.)

Unknown said...

Maybe so. Maybe I should try it from the first episode. I know a lot of people who really like it.

Anonymous said...

Both "Arrested" and "It's Always Sunny" reward patience and return viewings. Plenty of running gags and plotlines throughout. Also, "Always Sunny" has a very odd tone that can take some getting used to.