Monday, November 19, 2007

Einstein at the movies: Dragon Wars

I asked myself just now, "Self...what could possibly be better than deleting everything on my mp3 player so that I can refill it with all new (and some of the same) stuff? Huh? Tell me! Tell me now!"

"Well, me...that's an easy one. Dragon Wars."

"Hell yeah!"

That's right. Dragon Wars doesn't just get a 'Hell yeah!', it goes out and fucking earns it.

We should explain a few things. Wait? Did I say 'we'?

Are we using the pluralis majestatis again? No.

Am I talking about me and myself? No, not this time.

So, what's this 'we' shit then? That implies more than one. Who else is there?



And, Al, so long as you play nice, you're welcome to stay. So, Al, what is it worth knowing before seeing Dragon Wars?




That's right. It's always nice to know that you're paying attention.


Ok, so we have rivaling serpents.

What? You don't have a serpent!

That's great. Nobody cares.
Why do I keep bringing you back?

Do you have anything else to add?
I like Sweet too, but I don't see the relevance. You know what. I'm done with this. I expected more from you Al, you're a goddamn theoretical physicist, not 15 year old with a MySpace!

Dragon Wars might be one of the two best Korean monster movies I've seen this year. It's very different from The Host, just a very different tone to the whole thing. Where The Host had an environmental subplot, Dragon Wars does not. If The Host were the main course, Dragon Wars would be the dessert. It's lighter, but enjoyable in a much different way.

I highly recommend it. In fact, I'm not sure I can put it any better than "If you get the chance, see it. It's worth it." 9 old men faking a heart attack very poorly to explain to your kid that he's been chosen by the gods to turn a serpent into a dragon with absolutely no sexual overtones out of 10.