Friday, October 12, 2007

What next? Are you going to have Sulu played by a Korean? Oh...

You may have heard by now that Simon Pegg has been...(don't do it...don't say it...) PEGGED (merde!) to play a young Scotty in the new Star Trek movie.

Let that sink in.

Simon Pegg as Montgomery "Scotty" Scott.

Now that you've considered it, pondered the possibilities and mulled over the implications in your mind, you must be wondering, "Well, what do YOU think of all this?"

I'm glad you asked.

I think it's an incredibly bizarre casting choice. Simon Pegg is an amazing COMEDIC actor. He however, has an incredibly unique stlye/persona that I think will overshadow his performance. Maybe that's just it though. Maybe this will be the breakout dramatic role that Pegg needs. Maybe this will show the world just how gifted he really is.

That or it could be an amazingly bad choice and Pegg will play the role with a bit of a smirk the whole time.

And before you ask, yes, I do remember Pegg in Band of Brothers. Playing an American soldier no less, he was able to come off as a perfectly serious person as opposed to a guy ready to make a joke. Of course it was a very small role, and he was a minor character.

"Okay, who would have been a better choice?"

I don't know, someone Scottish maybe? Ok, that's not fair, Doohan himself was a Canadian.

It just seems like a weird choice to me, but, hey, it could be brilliant, right? That's always a possibility...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you got Pegg as a scot and Sylar as an alien. I mean, this might even be worth seeing!

Unknown said...

Sylar, not just as an alien, as Spock

Nik! said...

And at dinner last night someone was saying something about John Cho? Have you heard that? I don't know the whole thing just sounds too amusing to pass up.

Unknown said...

John Cho is supposed to be playing Sulu actually. He would be the Korean referred to in the title of the post.

Unknown said...

The movie's getting better and better and they're only CASTING it.

I don't even LIKE star trek

Unknown said...

yes you do. it's better than that Stargate crap you watch

Nik! said...

Doi. I think I might have skipped your subject line. Poor planing on my part. Your subject lines are pretty darn funny most of the time.

Unknown said...

I *LIKE* Stargate....

:-P