Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Here boy! Come here!

And after a long holiday weekend, I'm back, here, talking about movies. Though, I have to admit that I'm not really sure what to say. I got to see Fido over the weekend. You may recall that I posted the trailer a while back. This is a movie that I've been wanting to see for something like 2 years.

Maybe that was the problem. Maybe it had been on the cusp of my consciousness for too long. I have that problem sometimes. This wasn't some sort of 'not living up to the hype' scenario. Oh no. I enjoyed Fido. It was a fun movie. I just don't have much to say about it.

Fido is essentially sort of a cross between Leave it to Beaver and, well, any zombie movie you've ever seen. Imagine a war between man and zombie. A war that man, inexplicably, wins. Now, having defeated zombie-kind, it's time to enslave them. That's what Zom Com does. They have a collar that makes zombies as docile as a household pet.

Timmy is a bit of a dweeb. No? Dork? Loser? Nerd? Geek? Whatever generic title you want to give to him works. Think back to being 11, what would you have called him? He has no friends and he can't shoot worth a damn. That's ok though, because now, he has a pet zombie. For his mom, appearances are everything, and they were the only ones around without a zombie, so she HAD to go get one. His dad, however, is afraid of zombies and isn't too keen on the whole thing. What his dad IS keen on is funerals. Not everyone can afford a funeral, so most people come back as zombies. The ones that can afford a funeral though have their heads removed and buried separately.

Timmy and Fido become friends, but Fido's collar malfunctions sometimes causing a mild zombie outbreak. As a result, Fido gets taken away and sent to the glue factory. Timmy, and his mom, have become quite close to Fido, and have to get him back.

Like I said, it was a fun little movie. Carrie-Anne Moss was great as Timmy's mom. Billy Connelly, however, felt a bit wasted as Fido. It really felt like anyone could have played the character just as well. The movie itself, well, like I said, it just doesn't leave me with much to say. It's certainly worth checking out if you get the chance though! 7 and a half bloody baseballs buried next to the corpse of the old lady down the street out of 10.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you liked it!! This movie has an awesome premise, and I have been eagerly waiting to see it!!

It's odd, really, how zombie movies can make so many statements about human society and behavior.

www.therecshow.com