Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's a tribute to himself

When you get right down to it, George Lucas has made a career of, essentially, living in the past, hasn't he? American Graffiti, his homage to the 1950's. Star Wars and Indiana Jones, his homages to the scifi and adventure serials he enjoyed as a child... Is it any surprise then that he keeps mining the same material?

In that regard, can't the prequel trilogy just be thought of as his 'loving homage' to the Star Wars movies of the 70s and 80s? So too would his new 'Clone Wars' movie be a tribute to the prequels of a few years ago.



Let's face it, the man has nothing left. What has he done that has been the least bit original in the past 20 years? He just keeps digging into the same well. Indiana Jones, Star Wars...he's got nothing else.


And, don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed his creative bankruptcy as much as anyone. I like the prequels. And, I'm excited about the new Indiana Jones movie, hell, I just watched the first 3 movies over the weekend. It doesn't mean, however, that I'm ok with this continuing trend.