Thursday, September 04, 2008

Was that really the same movie?

Occasionally, I'll watch a trailer for some movie that I've heard a little about and think to myself 'Damn that looks good. Time to go to Netflix.'

I get the movie home, watch it and think, again, to myself 'Was that trailer for the same movie that I just watched?'

For example...In Bruges



The trailer looks exciting and hilarious. The movie itself...not so much exciting. It's funny, there is a lot of very dark and dry humor in it, but it has an aura of melancholy that permeates the movie. The movie moves along at a slow pace, building and building throughout the story, finally coming to a crescendo at the end. The trailer makes it seem as though the movie is full of fast music and quick pacing. I'm not saying that it was a bad movie, I really kind of liked it. No, what I'm saying is that it wasn't the movie that I saw in the trailer. And that threw me off. Suddenly what I got wasn't what I expected. I felt cheated, betrayed.

I felt as though Colin Ferrell had persoanlly let me down.

4 comments:

Fletch said...

I'm sure I've felt like that sometime (nothing popping to mind right now), but I didn't feel as though In Bruges was that way. I mean, you know they're in a small, sleepy town, and you know it's gonna get crazy at some point, and it did. In many ways it's a lot like Hot Fuzz (and it's also not like it in many other ways, but that's neither here nor there).

Unknown said...

the tralier just left me feeling like it was going to be a faster moving movie. I wasn't expecting the slow music throughout the movie. It worked for the movie. It starts slow and builds. It worked really well. It just wasn't what I expected.

elgringo said...

I keep hearing lots of good things about In Burges. Something about it, however, keeps me from checking it out. No matter how many people tell me it's good, I can't believe them 100%.

Dead Pan said...

I totally had the exact feelings.