Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine

I'm sure I'm not the first to reference REM in a post about the movie 2012. I don't care either.

I don't have it in me to really sum up and review this movie. It's just...I can't. I just can't so it. What I will do is give you a series of thoughts on 2012.This way, you can watch it yourself and pretend I'm turning to you and making these comments through the movie. Sort of the home version of $7 Popcorn. It's not the full experience. Oh no. I talk a LOT more during the average movie. Also, I offer to get beer more often.

  • There are a lot of good actors in this movie. And every time one appears on the screen, all I can think is 'this is beneath you. what are you doing?'
  • If you made a drinking game where you had to drink every time there was some sort of blatant product placement, you wouldn't make it through the movie.
  • If you made a different drinking game where you took a drink every time something scientifically impossible, scientifically implausible or historically inaccurate happened, you'd be just as fucked.
  • Woody Harrelson really does play crazy well.
  • There is a lot of humor to be found. A lot of it is even intentional.
  • There are also a lot of moments of gut wrenching tragedy.
  • Someone really should have punched Carl Anheuser (Oliver Platt) in the nose. EDIT: Someone did. In a deleted scene. Should have left that one in the movie.
  • Without a doubt, this was Chiwetel Ejiofor's best role since Serenity (if you forgot about Children of Men like I did...)
  • George Segal is kind of a poor man's Elliot Gould.
  • It is possible to enjoy this movie. The trick is to forget about...you know...reality. You have to find a way to buy into a world where the laws of physics, science and reality are fundamentally different. If you can manage that, 2012 isn't bad.
  • As movies about the end of the world go, 2012 is certainly one of them.

I have to say, as discussing movies goes, I really kind of like this format. Maybe I should do this more often.