Monday, March 15, 2010

In which the irregular update schedule continues

Over the past couple of weeks, for whatever reason, I decided that I'd like to watch The Big Sleep and Murder, My Sweet again. I've seen them both multiple times, and, to be honest, I like them both. I've also read both books. I'm a big fan of Raymond Chandler's writing and was slightly disappointed when I realized I'd read all of his books.

The reason I bring any of this up is because I found something kind of weird. Not about the movies themselves, but my reaction to them.


I really like The Big Sleep. I think it might be one of Chandler's best (along with The Long Goodbye), and while Farewell, My Lovely is good (very good), it's not as good as The Big Sleep.


On the other hand, while I think The Big Sleep is a good movie, I think Murder, My Sweet is better. I like Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe more than I do Humphry Bogart. And while Bogart and Lauren Bacall have great chemistry together in The Big Sleep, the movie too often feels like the Bogey-Bacall show and not about a murder at all. And, while Bogart gives a good performance, I can't help but enjoy Powell's portrayal a bit more.

While The Big Sleep may be my favorite of Raymond Chandler's books, Murder, My Sweet may well be my favorite Chandler adaptation.