Friday, February 12, 2010

Carol, we don't have that kind of time.

Sometimes, I'll watch a movie and start laughing at a line in it. It's not always obvious joke. It'll be something someone says and it doesn't further the plot and it's easy to overlook. My friend and I call these throw-away lines. One of the best examples is from The 'Burbs:

Carol Peterson: Ray isn't coming out of his room until he resembles the man I married.
Art: Carol, We don't have that kind of time.
And I laugh every time.

Well, what made me think of this was a recent viewing of The Brothers Bloom which is rapidly becoming a favorite movie of mine. There's a great line near the beginning after Stephen and Bloom leave the party. Stephen manages to open a door to a camel pen and says:

Is this bathroom? No, is camels
 And I just find it hilarious. 

Does anyone else have a favorite line like this?