Monday, April 28, 2008

A bit off topic, but what the hell

A bit of an off topic post today. Nothing about movies, and no movie posters. Nope, instead, I'd like to talk about something else.

I spent my weekend in Portland, Oregon doing a bit of work. It was the first time I worked a weekend in...a few years. I thought I was done with that nonsense. Nope, company proved me wrong (I volunteered). So, it was off to Portland I went. And in Portland, I got to be everything I hate about the world. I helped an old lady with a microwave carry a microwave like a good person, and I forced my own personal beliefs upon a complete stranger like a complete asshole. I'm just that kind of guy.

Aside from all that, I went to the Stumptown Comics Fest. It was an odd sort of coincidences that led to me being in the right place at the right time. Who would have thought that it would work out so well, right? It's another coincidence that I even heard about it. Have you read the webcomic Octopus Pie? It's written and drawn by Meredith Gran, and it was her on posting about being there that alerted me to it even going on. And I told her as much. She seemed genuinely pleased that some guy from Detroit happened to be in town and happened to be a fan of the comic. Not only that but enough of a fan to come and meet her. And, you know, she was a really great. She gave me a book and even drew a picture in it for me. I have to say it was very much worth going down there.

It does make me think though, I've had the opportunity to meet quite a few people who's work I enjoy. Sometimes it's through a quick meeting at a con, other times it's been a chance meeting on the streets. I'm no autograph chaser (though I did buy one from Johnathon Frakes because I wanted him to take a picture with a stuffed monkey), it's just nice, I think, to have the chance to tell someone that their work has had an impact upon you. That they've done a good job. I know I get a kick out of it when someone sees a movie on my recommendation and likes it or tells someone else about it.

Bah. I'm rambling. Whatever. Go check out Octopus Pie, it's funny and it's written by a really cool chick. I have a flight to catch (first class, baby. gotta love those free elite upgrades.), I get to go home for a few days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can a blogger ever be off topic? ;-)

Unknown said...

sure, when your stated focus is movies and you decide to write about something that you don't quite manage to make movie related somehow, it's a bit off topic.

It's just a rarity, usually I'm able to get it back to movies somehow. Today, I was too tired to try.

Unknown said...

What the heck is Godzilla doing to that other monster? B-movie pr0n, man.