Wednesday, February 14, 2007

7 Dollar Popcorn Presents the 7 Dollar Popcorn FILMuary Extravaganza: 28 Days of Movie Mayhem Saint Valentine's Day Special

Shot through the heart and YOU'RE to blame its 7 Dollar Popcorn Presents the 7 Dollar Popcorn FILMuary Extravaganza: 28 Days of Movie Mayhem Saint Valentine's Day Special!

You know, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of those movies that I had heard a ton about. Not that I knew a lot about what it was about...more that a lot of people I know LOVE this movie. Just love it. People who even like the same movies as me.

Now, I'm not exactly a Jim Carrey fan. I mean, I liked The Truman Show...but that's really the extent of it.

However, 13 minutes into this movie...I was really relating to his character, Joel. And he meets this girl, Clementine. And you know what? She's reminds me of too many of the girls I've dated. A little over zealous, a little...um...to be polite...nutso. But, hey, that's the kind of girl I like. So be it.


Look! I can see my house from here!

They meet on a bus, and the day goes on and they have a drink. The next day they go out for a walk on the ice. Then, when he tries to drop her off at home, she decides that she wants to go back to his house to sleep, he says yes, and she goes inside to get a toothbrush. And then Frodo asks if he can help him with something.

Frodo! Of course you can help, I have this ring you see and it needs to be destroyed...

Wrong movie.

All this is before the opening credits.

As it turns out, Joel and Clementine are recently seperated. They had been living together and, as things go, they kinda grew apart. Maybe even a little sick of each other. And, I've said it before, I know that one. So, they split up. And, as things go, she underwent a procedure to have all of her memories of him erased. And when he finds out, he decides to do the same.

It's a weird sort of voyage through Joel's memories of Clementine. Good times. Bad times. All the times. And all this time, he's trying desperately to hold on to his memories. And the whole time it's a losing battle against the clock and determination of those conducting the the procedure. And it's a good thing that they were determined because they sure weren't ethical! Stealing shit, having parties with other people's booze. Crazy shit man.

The real question though is would you do it? If you could take all the pain away and remember nothing, would you? Would you want to? Maybe you would want to, but, as the saying goes, time heals all wounds and really, as time passes all you really hold onto is the good. I mean, for all the horrible things that happened in any of my relationships, I look back on them fondly. I don't think about them cheating on me and leaving me for what they thought were better guys. I think about the fun and how happy we were. And even though I know it would end the same way, I would do it all again. If I could do it all again, even knowing it would end the same way...I would dive in. Head first.

Sorry about that, but the movie made me think. And it's made me a bit sad. And it's made me miss a few people who, for various reasons, are not a part of my life.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind makes 2 movies that I liked Jim Carrey in. And a movie I liked Kate Winslet in. It has a very quiky kind of charm. And you know what? I loved this movie for all the same reasons that I hated Being John Malkovich. 8 memories that you try your damnedest to hold onto to remind of when everything was awesome between you and her out of 10.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this movie. Really love it. It's in my top 5 movies ever.

I'm glad you liked it. YAY.

Nik! said...

I would too. Only, heart first. I think that was what I took away from this movie. It's all worth it. All of it.

I've also just climbed out of my very warm bed and went into the very cold living room to get ESOTSM so I could watch it. :)