Friday, February 09, 2007

7 Dollar Popcorn Presents The 7 Dollar Popcorn FILMuary Extravaganza: 28 Days of Movie Mayhem Day 9: Time Bandits

Greek warriors had to learn 44 different ways of unarmed combat before they were ready for Day 9 of 7 Dollar Popcorn Presents The 7 Dollar Popcorn FILMuary Extravaganza: 28 Days of Movie Mayhem.

This time it's Terry Gilliam's 1981 movie Time Bandits. Now, I've seen part of this a couple years ago, but I fell asleep in the middle of it. I did that sort of thing pretty often.

The other time I almost watched it was back when I worked at the video store. We put movies on all the time. Mostly for background noise, and we didn't like the little ad reels they sent us, so, fuck it. Movies. We'd put in anything that wasn't R typically. After a while we went for under PG-13 (too many...incidents). And I remember putting Time Bandits in at least once.

Time Bandits is a movie about a half dozen dwarves who acquire a map of time holes in the universe. The steal the map to travel through time and steal shit. Along their way, they acquire a kid named Kevin. The steal from Napoleon, "donate" the goods to Robin Hood, get separated and then meet back up in the court of Agamemnon, get captured by an ogre in the Time of Legend, and then defeat Evil.

Sorry, it's a 20+ year old movie. You've likely seen it. If you haven't I wouldn't be too worried. I just wasn't into it. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with this movie, so I don't have fond memories of it. There's no nostalgia factor for me on it. I know a lot of people love this movie, I'm just not one of them (same goes for Gilliam's film Brazil).


R2D2!!!!!!

What did get me excited though, and this is the Star Wars nerd in me, was seeing Kenny Baker out of his R2D2 costume. That was pretty sweet.

All in all, I'm sure that it's a wonderful movie, just not for me. 5 "hey wasn't she in Soap"s out of 10.