Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hot on the heels of Bambi 2

In 1982 there was a movie that came out called The Dark Crystal. A couple people liked it from what I remember. I saw it as a child. I don't remember anything about it. Maybe it's good, maybe it's cheesier than Labyrinth. I don't know.

What I do know is that it's 2006. 24 years later. Why make a sequel NOW???

What the hell is the point of making sequels 20+ years later? I don't get it. Why wait so long?

I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle here, but I just think that maybe Hollywood needs to stop going back to the well and come up with something new(ish). There are stories out there. Come up with new characters and a few new ideas, it's ok. No one is going to think less of you.

The Hollywood bigwigs bitch about movie attendance being down. I don't believe that they're losing the money they say they are. But lets assume for a minute they are. Is it because of piracy like they claim, or is it because the make movies like Starsky and Hutch and The Dukes of Hazard? Nobody wants to refienance their house to go see a movie and buy some popcorn and a soda to have their inteligence insulted for 2 hours (3 in the case of King Kong). Then look at a movie like the Wedding Crashers. #1 movie for how many weeks? Cost $40 million to make and made something like $200 million at the box office. So don't tell me that people aren't willing to go see movies.

Just release something worth watching.

So, Power of the Dark Crystal, set hundreds of years after the first movie follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun. Genndy Tartakovsky (created Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory and Star Wars:Clone Wars) will direct.