Friday, December 12, 2008

The Best Vampire Movie In Theatres Right Now

I don't often get really excited about a movie. There are very few 'must see' type movies in my life. It's not that I don't get excited about seeing a movie, or look forward to them, it's just that...well, it's hard to explain. I'm just not usually in any hurry to see a specific movie. I watch things when I get to them. Let The Right One In became a must see for me.

As we've previously established, I live in the decaying city of Detroit. And, while many independent and foreign movies do play here, some don't. Let The Right One In is one that isn't playing here. Oh well, right? I'll just have to wait for the DVD and see it at some point. No big deal, I've done that countless times before.

But wait! It's playing in Salt Lake City! And, wouldn't you know, that's where I was going for vacation! You know what that means, right? I have to see it while I'm there. This is fate. This is out of my hands. There's nothing I can do other than talk people into going to see it with me.

And such it was that I convinced my cousin and two of her friends to go see Let The Right One In with me. It's amazing how persuasive the phrase 'Swedish vampire movie' is.

Oskar is about 12. He doesn't have a lot of friends. He's picked on at school. It's a pretty sad state of affairs for him. Living next door to him is Eli, a girl who looks to be about his age. She just moved in. And she tells Oskar that they can't be friends. The first time they meet! Just like that. "I can't be your friend"

Of course, Oskar and Eli do become friends. And it's this relationship that is the focus of the movie. Eli teaches Oskar to fight back against the bullies and Oskar learns that Eli is a vampire. One could even infer that they fall in love.

Let The Right One In is not a movie made for an American audience. Pretty shocking considering that it's a foreign movie, right? There are elements of the movie that an American director would simply not be allowed to do.

The movie is sad, brutal, and simply put, pretty amazing. I absolutely loved the movie. It's not something that I would want to watch over and over again like some movies, but it's definitly something that warrants a second viewing. It's not just a movie about vampires, though it's definitly a vampire movie, and it's not just a movie about relationships and young love, though there's plenty of that as well.

I'm glad I was someplace where this movie played. I'm glad I got to see it. I don't know that everyone will like this movie, but I sure as hell did.