Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Um...right

I like zombie movies, even though the recent glut of them has watered down the genre. And, I'll watch just about any zombie movie, even if the box doesn't say something like "Better than Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later" (beyondhollywood.com). Let's be honest though...is a quote like that really going to sway me? No. It's going to make me go into the movie with very low expectations. How likely is some low budget zombie movie going to hold up against one of my favorites?

Pretty fucking poorly.

The Zombie Diaries follows 3 groups of survivors in the immediate aftermath of a zombie outbreak. The story is presented in a 'found footage' style ala The Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield. Except, in this case it's neither novel or well executed. While one of the groups of survivors is a television documentary crew, there is no reason given for either of the other two having and continuing to use the cameras.
The movie itself is boring and not exactly what most people would think of as 'scary'. In fact, the most interesting part of the story has nothing to do with the zombies! The characters are poorly developed and, as far as I could tell, most of them may not have even had names.While I may not have liked it, a quick glance around the web shows that I might be in the minority. Once again showing that I'm better than the majority.